As a little kid, who watched way too much tv, the dentist was easily the scariest professional. Dentists were always portrayed as crazed men, who took out their frustration and deep seated insecurities on others via metal tools that buzzed. They hacked and sawed teeth, and seemingly rejoiced while their patients squirmed in pain. With this on my mind, coupled with my last trip to the dentist in which the doctor shaved off part of a tooth or something like that, I went to the dentist today. Below are some notes that I jotted down:
- In order to take x-rays, I had to bite down on some contraption over and over again–ouch!
- When’s the last time you been to the dentist? I was asked this question numerous times and apologized for my lack of recent appointments. I’m too embarrassed to say how long it has been. Ironically, my favorite attribute is my smile.
- Maxine was my dental hygienist; she had a wonderful attitude, and put me at ease with her conversation inducing questions
- Maxine pointed out to me that I have a slight overbite–I jokingly remarked that it adds to my personality (plus it is not noticeable…at least no one, other than my dentist, has ever pointed it out to me before)
- I need to brush the inside of my upper/lower teeth–Maxine took the time to show me how I should position my toothbrush for the optimum cleaning of the other side of my teeth; she handed me a mirror so that I could see what she was talking about–very helpful.
- The lone bright light was really bright; the metal tools were cold; the sucker (not sure of its proper medical term) got the majority of the blood and drool/saliva.
- Both Maxine and the awarding winning doctor, according to the plaque (no pun intended) in his room, both commented on the lose of my bone structure, which will require me to see a ___-ologist
- The doctor had a little doctor gremlin-esque statue that held two metal sharp tools. I would have taken a picture with my iphone, but I could not because I was living the under 5% battery struggle life
- Lastly, the doctor showed me my dental x-rays on a flatscreen HD television. He transformed into a sports anaylst and did some color commentary on my teeth, circling the area where I had some tartar build-up
Overall, it was a good experience and now I have a better understanding of the inner-working of my mouth. And after the cleaning, I have a better smile!